January 2, 2008

XX versus the XY SOCIETY

I am sleeping
Or am I awake?

I answered in the first,
And questioned in the next

Should I learn to be me from me
Or turn to you, to 'be' ?

Should I place my legs together?
For I am a girl and not her brother

Why should I wait for men to woo me?
Why does wo separate me from he?

Why can't I stay out late?
Burp on beer and smoke on cigarettes

What has sex got to do with it?

Speaking of which:
Why can't I have it before marriage?
Why should I whisper and speak about it?
Why should I call it, it?
IT- it- iit- itt- iti- tit--
Oh, I get it... It's because of my... hmm..

Is this poem going anywhere?
Am I going somewhere?
So-me-where?

Unless you change your designed roles
No where, is where I am going to be.

*
Apologies if this poem does not make sense. It is something that just came out of me as incoherent thoughts. Pardon, me.

7 comments:

Renovatio said...

I have an inkling of what you're talking about, but why not she?

As I tell all the 5 year olds my mum teaches, anything you boys can do, the girls can do much better. Excepting two things, but I'll tell you those when you're allowed near fire, and can legally get a license.

The Cat said...

baccha, delete this before tushie boy comes avisiting. mwah.
and. call me today.

risha; said...

Interesting.

There were days while I was growing up that I yearned to be my brother.

And I remember hurling at my parents, (in the middle of a tirade), 'He gets to stay out all night because he's a boy?'

Oh. Oh. Oh. Society.

five_silver_rings said...

Renovatio: What are those two things exactly? Do articulate them on my page, i shall be delighted ;)

Aaki: I am 'not' afraid of Tushie boy! Besides, I think he just might find it... insightful :P

Persona non grata: I got inspired to write this because of two things: I felt that I needed to write what I felt about being a woman (though I love being her nevertheless), and because a friend of mine told me once, that as a child one is free to do any thing and is oblivious to boundaries.

As the child grows up, society fucks u up, holding two sticks by ur sides, hitting u from both the ends in order to shape u up accrding to what it feels is 'appropriate'.

Yes indeed, Oh. Oh. Oh. Society. :)

risha; said...

And you! KETTLE!
Look at who's apologising for the post now!
-self righteous and smug indignation to follow-

five_silver_rings said...

My dear Persona non grata : I know, I know. I thought of you when I wrote the foot-note.

Well, can't help it, I just felt some might not understand. Funny. Many do :)

Nevertheless, I stand accepting my identity as a kettle. Though I shall promise no more sub-note 'apologies' to follow my posts.

Anonymous said...

i like it!! bold!! wat a girl wants!
i could actually understand a lil..cool!!