January 10, 2008

ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE

The other day dad got a flute for me. Wonder why though, I have no clue how to play that thing. Nevertheless, I kept it, to keep his heart. It's funny how I love it when he gets me the most innocent of gifts unannounced. My dog was one of them. Anyhow, today my dad peeked into my room to see what I was upto. He saw the flute lying there, untouched by the owner who was peering into her novel.

"You aren't playing this fella' ?" Dad asked enthusiastically.

I looked up. "Naah. I don't know how to use this thing," I replied sheepishly.

"See, this is where you put it," he said picking up the flute and placing it right below his lower lip. A phenomenon which disturbed the air along with the dust particles which flounced ecstatically in the column of sunlight that was penetrating the curtains.

Frankly, all I could hear was "foooo"--the blowing of air by my amateur musician a.k.a dad. As a result, my dog perked his ears and happily jumped around my dad. It was honestly a very amusing episode.

"Well," I said humouring my dad, "at least you've got one fan." I winked at him and he responded by smiling, "You my girl, are becoming too big for your boots," and winked back.

He left me laughing. It was one of those beautiful days. Father, daughter, and the holy dog.

P.S. The second last word is highly debatable adjective.

*

Today we had a discussion on whether women have a good sense of direction or not. Two guys, a girl and a canteen place. I defended my stand, for I know the roads decently well (except for those parts of Delhi which I have rarely visited). The men tried to pull me down (sigh, friends!) but I still fought. Ultimately the conversation dissolved by a series of coffee and chai orders. It was cold. The sun winked through the leaves. College will end in a few months. These days won't come again. I look at my watch: ten minutes more before the classes begin. Here we go again, preparing ourselves for a new day.


*


11 comments:

Renovatio said...

I've actually tried playing the Indian Flute a bit, found it much harder than the Wester one. I did prefer the sound of the Indian one though. I play the clarinet myself.

five_silver_rings said...

Well, u r musician, a writer, photographer... is there anything you are not? Perhaps not a great cook as I ;)

Renovatio said...

That last one's still to be decided... You still haven't told me what the loser has to do :p

Also, look at the time. It's update time :p

five_silver_rings said...

well, u decide what the losers have to do and i'll see if it suits the purpose.

as for update.. err.. keep on the look out ;)

Renovatio said...

See there's no fun that way. Leaves no motivation. Motivation lies in avoiding punishment...of sorts.

five_silver_rings said...

Why do you want to avoid punishments?

P.S. I don't know what to write on. Suggestions?

Renovatio said...

You.

I know I'll be riveted.

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

d flute thing was kinda cute...n i totally secnd u dat women do hav good road sense!!:)

Mystique said...

yeesh...good road sense....i guess most women do...i'm still developing mine...

five_silver_rings said...

Renovatio: Sir, you make the decision as to what losers are supposed to do, though I do think treating the winner out on a great meal would be great--but for that, one has to meet the other. Haha, so as of now, I don't know where this is going.

Gunj: Umm.. yeah, women do have a good road sense... Men just stereotype everything... what can I say, its a patriarchal society we inhabit... Men claim to be good at everything. Which is definitely not the case.

Mystique: Honey, develop road sense, because it's not only imp. for you to prove men wrong, but it's also beneficial for your own sake--you can go anywhere you want to, because you'll know u're on the right track.

Renovatio said...

Sounds fair. What do intend to do to rectify that lack of knowledge?