January 17, 2008

Random Thoughts

Driving has become a necessity in winters. I hate being dependent on auto wallas who bargain with me every morning as to how much I should pay him for a ride to college. Coming back is another head ache--they throw tantrums, "Madam, vapsi mein saavari nahin milegi." Bullshit!

I prefer driving now days. It's warmer in the car, you get to listen to good music, and you don't need to exchange dialogues with any annoying auto walla!

I have to admit, I am new on the roads.. but this time I ain't quiting. There are certain things in life which jolt you into reality so much, that you realize you need to take the reins of your life into your own hands.. or the steering wheel--which ever suits you best.

*

What can I say? I have the instinctive urge to write, but time evades me. She is always there when I have nothing to do, but begs to leave when I really need her. I have so much to do, and I keep contemplating as to what I should begin with, little knowing that every second counts. Sigh, here I go again knitting cliches with my thoughts. Ambiguous thoughts, really. Nothing is substantial in life and that's the truth.

One of my oldest friends told me something very important today. Something I didn't know, something I never even thought of about life. Funny. I suddenly look at things from a different perspective.

*

The other day my friend treated me at CCD for passing the army entrance test. Army. Sigh, all I can think about army is a bloody hard life--though my pal looked extremely thrilled about passing. There are some things in life you just know you want to do. Perhaps it's the calling from within.

I however, am still confused as to what exactly I wish to do. Write? Dance? Make movies? Ah, this damn indecisiveness--it happens to the best of us.

*
Notion of the day: Nothing is better than a hot mug of coffee with a pal.

9 comments:

Renovatio said...

You referred to time as 'she'. I think Lewis Carol thinks differently.

Alice sighed wearily. `I think you might do something better with the time,' she said, `than waste it in asking riddles that have no answers.'

`If you knew Time as well as I do,' said the Hatter, `you wouldn't talk about wasting IT. It's HIM.'

`I don't know what you mean,' said Alice.

`Of course you don't!' the Hatter said, tossing his head contemptuously. `I dare say you never even spoke to Time!'

`Perhaps not,' Alice cautiously replied: `but I know I have to beat time when I learn music.'

`Ah! that accounts for it,' said the Hatter. `He won't stand beating.


There. Time and music.

Oh and yes, I am riveted.

five_silver_rings said...

Niice. U like reading Carol? 'Through the Looking Glass' is a better one though... Read it... Language and logic are fantastically subverted in this book.

And who says time is a 'he'? The Hatter may like to impose it's own gender on time, but I still defend my stance--it's a she :D

As for me 'rectifying' my lack of knowledge--I think we'll have to wait and let 'time' decide where this conversation is going :P

Renovatio said...

I've only read those two by Carol, this post reminded me of that passage :p

five_silver_rings said...

great :)

I am driving.. see, i'll prove you wrong about women driving hysterically on the road!

Renovatio said...

Not all do, just my sister, my mother, my mother's best friend, my best friend's girl friend, several of my exes, several other friends of mine, random women on the road, random women who play drive-flirt. Just the ones I see on the road I guess.

Also, you requested a fresh post, a fresh post you have received. Go read.

Renovatio said...

Still don't see it :p

five_silver_rings said...

Okay, so according to you almost EVERY woman on the road is bad at driving. What about the men? They are pretty bad as well, considering most of the accidents happen on the road because of them.

Look, women need encouragement--they CAN drive well--it's just that everyone keeps discouraging and ridiculing them half of the time, that they cannot build their confidence level on the road.

STOP STEREOTYPING THEM--that's the first step. I don't know about others, but encourage your sister and mom to drive--be supportive. Trust me, they'll do better :)

Renovatio said...

Sweetheart, I wrote an entire post about men who drive badly.
I'm honestly the first in line to encourage the women in my life to drive well, but to exemplify, my sister refuses to listen to a word out of me, while I've been driving behind her late at night on the way home from a dinner we reached separately from work, where I can watch her rear-axle shuddering from the speed at which she flies over potholes and speed brakers. It doesn't take encouragement to be made to see that, merely common sense. In turn chooses to berate me for my 'unsteady' driving, an instant after other people present in the car have just had something nice to say about it, including my mother. Of course this is normal behavior for siblings, but still, I've done what I could. My mother, like all humans, has become a creature of habit, and so doesn't want to incorporate my advice regarding double clutching or left-foot braking. Granted, she's a calm, careful driver, just like everything else she does, but she'll insist on changing lanes without looking at the mirrors or indicating, and I sometimes fear for the safety of people around us.
You must understand, when I make fun of women driving, I'm only being sarcastic. There are definitely some potentially great women drivers out there, and one has become excellent after taking in a little advice from me just after ramming a guy off his motorcycle. But the majority I've tried to speak to about their driving take immense umbrage, and I get sulky looks and snarky comments for the rest of the journey home. Trust me when I say this, I approach any driving advice as delicately as possible. The one person who does listen to me however, would be my best friend's girlfriend, who'll pull up the handbrake when I point it out and her Santro's rocking back and forth on the little uphill road she's stopped on to talk to me.

Smokin Joe said...

Well, ur last line says, what do i need to do.. hmm. midlife crisis..

I always think we indians have this midlife crisis much earlier that the other buggers, and .. and.. we have it in a lot of different ways.. I used to think that there are certain things which are end of the world, like say IIT, like say IIM, i couldnt go to iit, but went the the second best set of colleges in india, and i was told that am still not the best.. i need to do something.. however, my bro made it.. and well.. he still is said that same thing.. he is still not the ebst and he needs to do something.. wtf..
then i made it to iim, and well... what i used to think was the end of the road, was never that. infact .. i now know am going away from the road. I love doing what i used to do, make softwares.. and i was fucking good in that.. not in the management type bullshit..

god know.. everyone has midlife crisis.. and they always will... its fun thought.. the struggle never ends.. till the midlife ends