January 24, 2008

Sing It

Tu dhoop hai, chan se bikhar. Tu hai nadi, o bekhabar--

-- You have it in you to make it. Make it then.

*
My friend called from the States and gave me a lovely surprise by doing so. It feels good to know that there are people there in the world who still care.

*
"O hip-hopper mujhe pyaar toh kar, O hip hopper."

When this song first splashed across the television screens, I screamed. I could not believe that people could come up with such inane lyrics. Though I cannot shy away from saying that the song actually grows on you--and I have surprised myself by humming the tune now and then--but err... what happened to the entire concept of writing and making songs that actually made sense?? But I guess the music company will make songs for the masses. I feel alienated from this culture and at the same time am aware that I belong to it as well.


*

My brother told me a story the other day: There are four kinds of gadhas in the world. The first is the one who keeps walking, doing things that are required of him and is content with life. The second donkey keeps hitting the first one with a stick, wanting the first one to do his work for him. The third kind keeps lying down, sleeping, dreaming and does his work once a while. The fourth gadah however, sits in one place and mourns: "Mein ghoda kyon nahin hoon?" (Why am I not a horse?)

Most of the people in the world fall into the category of the fourth kind. Always wishing why things can't be better off for them. If you are not content with life, change it. Do it on your own--no one is going to come to you and help you change it. Don't crib, just do.

I think that's what convinced me to start driving on my own. Being dependent on someone is the last thing one wants in life. I decided, I can no longer be dependent on my dad (or auto wallas) for taking me somewhere. Lesson: Do everything in your stride to be as self-sufficient as possible. That's the way the world roles--it's your wish in whose palm you want it to roll.

Sing it:
T
u dhoop hai, chan se bikhar. Tu hai nadi, o bekhabar.

*


12 comments:

Renovatio said...

I don't want to write. I don't have it in me right now I'm too bleah. I won't even reply to my comments for that reason.
Never thought that seeing a friend who's so close her family refers to you as the older, younger brother get married, would be so draining.

Renovatio said...

I mean come on, she's still in the same city, and now she's living somewhere close enough I'd actually want to go meet her more. I even love the guy she's married, even if it was an arranged one and all. Still, bleh.

five_silver_rings said...

Well, I am sure you can still go and visit her, trust me, it won't be a problem. It's good to know that you like the chap--try becoming good friends with him. He'll appreciate it :)

And this does not mean you should stop writing. Write even one line on your blog--about anything you are feeling or going through. It at least shows that you're alive ;)

P.S. If you ever want to 'talk' about something, I'm here waiting with a mug of coffee :)

risha; said...

..is it odd that I don't know this song you speak of? =/

five_silver_rings said...

Well, to begin with it's a song from Aamir Khan's latest movie: Taare Zameen Par.

I know you don't live in India any more, so I can understand :)
However, if possible, do try to find out the lyrics to this song, they are beautiful and immensely inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I kinda agree with the gadah story. And in support of that, it might help to know that ghodas also wish they were their riders.

Cheers,
A

five_silver_rings said...

Haha, well said indeed! Godahs do wish to be riders. No one is happy with what one really has. We always look for more.

Then again, we need to appreciate things we already have and own... for you don't know what you got till it's gone.

Vipul Nanda said...

There are far too many songs with such inane lyrics doing the rounds today. One's that "In the Mum-bhai, all over India, we are the Bhai ... " nuttiness that I hear on the radio on occasion.

And if that wasn't enough, there's the (somewhat) old "Jhalak dikhla ja, ek baar aaja x5" nonsense. Incredibly repetitive stuff.

risha; said...

Haha. I doubt I'd known it if I lived in India as well.

I've heard of the film though.

five_silver_rings said...

Arawn: Yes. Yes. Lots of inane songs on the radio staton. But we all do tend to enjoy them, don't we?

Himesh is a classic emblem of utter musical disaster!So yes, I prefer staying about 10 million feet away from his music.

five_silver_rings said...

PNG: Oh I am sure you would have head the song if you were here. You can count on that. Media, I tell you.

Btw, can I plz be granted access to your blog. Like reading your posts :)

Renovatio said...

That would be great...