January 28, 2008

The Open Baithak @ The Attic

Attended the
Open Baithak today at The Attic. It was a relatively cold day, the streets of CP were tremendously crowded with people buzzing and passing by, as I scurried from DV8 to People Tree on my two feet, humming the tune of a song I don't remember now.

The door of the Attic opened into a warm and cozy room, brightly lit, accessorized with antique furniture--a space I would love to rent as an apartment, but alas, the space is not for sale. I was greeted by known and unknown faces, all smiling, happy to be there, waiting for the poetry session to begin: An evening with the performance poet, Bob Holman.

The thing that I have always loved about performance poetry, is the performing bit. I cannot endure people just standing in one place and reading out their poems which, mind you, are brilliant pieces left unanimated due to the lack of display of emotions, correct articulation of words, blah. Thus, to perform one's poetry is very essential, for it gives life to the piece and also leaves the audience enraptured, wanting for more.

Of course, one has to have the art of performing, and that is achieved through experience. I, for one, have done so at a college poetry recitation competition, but still do have a long way to go. Perhaps in the next Open Baithak session, I will be enthusiastic enough to read out my poems. Perhaps.

Today, a few read or rather, performed well. A few. One of the poems read was despicably atrocious, and I was confident that I could do better than the gentleman on stage. Over-confident? Noo. Just sure.

At the same session, I also met a deliciously handsome guy, whose name I shall not disclose, for the sheer fact of knowing that he might come across this page. Though extremely talented, I could not stay back for his performance. Did I mention that I like men who rap, by the way? :P

There is so much potential in me, potential I wasn't even aware of. Certain things happen in your life, and though initially you feel that they shouldn't have happened, when you see life from a broader perspective, you know that it was the best thing and that you are so much better off...

Ah well, you live and you learn. This is ME at twenty, and still going strong.

*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proud. :). Rooting for you. Keep it up, up, up. You're actually picking up words where you left them once, months ago. Work.
Peechoo.

five_silver_rings said...

Peechoo: Thank you :) Feels good to know that. Proud? I am delighted. :D

The Cat said...

To Radzie: Rap on, baby.

To Peechoo: Tu ghar aa, I'll pichko you.

five_silver_rings said...

Haha. funny flow of comments aaki.

Though, peechoo didn't do any wrong honestly :P

Adore you both.

The Cat said...

Whee !

Jumps.

Peechoo falls to ground, is trampled by an irate aaki.

so fcking cool.

:P

five_silver_rings said...

Aaki: Whee to you too ;)