May 18, 2006

VOCAB

New phrases have been introduced into our vocabulary... Phrases like, 'funny shit', 'shit happens' etc... I just don't get it though.. I mean, how can shit 'happen'? And even if it does, whats so great about that anyway?!? Seriously... What is up with our language? With our way of communicating? I mean, I myself greet my friends by calling them names which, if my mom would hear, would leave her mouth open in utter astonishment for quite some time. But still.. Think about it... Isn't it weird how our sentences are almost all the time punctuated with profanities and vague abuses... Who would have known that a certain finger of the human hand would become an integral part of ahem, human 'communication' shall I say?

Hands... Ah, the creative mind can think of so many different ways of making use of them... from polite gestures to immature, debasing hand movements; hands have done it all.
It's just amusing to notice how verbal thrashing has been replaced with uncouth hand gestures. Not that I'm saying that I don't behave like an average teenager or that I have never committed the 'sin' of affectionate abusing... I have.. But the fact of the matter still remains that our vocabulary is continuously being influenced and dominated by several words and phrases completely uncalled for.

FUCK... I'm sure most of you were almost certain I would bring this word up... From the age of twelve {maybe younger} many kids discover the existence of this word. Now, the actual meaning of it may not matter, but the deliberate continuous use of it does.

Fuck
! I've lost my pen!
What the fuck are you talking about??
Are you fucking kidding me??

Seriously, we have got so used to using this term that it's impossible to let go of it! God knows who invented this word, but if this individual had a face, teenagers would worship him! okay, maybe not... but you get the basic picture, don't you?

(c) RADHIKA IYENGAR 2006

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

u are right...our language has gone into pitts...but realy almost all the abuses dont actually have a meaning..for example take the tipping off...while u r driving a guy in the other care tips u off..he wants u to feel bad BECAUSE he showed u THE FINGER..
y wud nebody feel bad if someone shows them the finger,,showing the finger is way to easy...now if he shows me a toe ya then yes i will be offended....cuz just immagine..the dude is drivin..while drivin he take off his shoes,his socks and gets his feet outta the window to give u the toe...while managin the the acc,brake n clutch at the same time wid one foot..now that is offensive..."that guy showed me the toe, i must have done something really bad"

vi[c]ky said...

hey,
read your posts they are nice... like em..
very thoughtfull and to some extent humourous.
like em...
good job

v said...

very well written...but my compliment is not only for your writing but also for the observation.guys who are from boarding schools like me are worse effected.intemperate use of slangs like 'khud cleaning' have seeped into our language.as for the hand gestures-less said the better. its fine to be cool but its not pertinent to use profanity 'all the time'...though in boarding n coll. i have been guilty of doing the same.

five_silver_rings said...

hey thankx u guyz for appreciating my work... hope to keep writing... :)

Unknown said...

yeah 'shit' happens...
thats allrite though... like bad things make you appreciate good ones... maybe bad words make you appreciate the good ones!