July 10, 2008

POSTBLUE

Currently singing:
Close my Eyes Forever, Ozzy feat. Lita Ford
*
Right, so I haven't visited this space for quite sometime--my sincere apologies to all. For the past one month, I had been running up and down the
Capital, giving entrance tests and what not. And now I'm happily settled Mumbai. Ironic, isn't it?
*
Recently, I visited the National Art Gallery in
Mumbai. So this is my take on Raghu Rai pictures: thought-provoking, and extremely trippy. If any of you ever have a chance to take a look at his pictures, go for it, I say. Truthfully, I've never really appreciated the art of photography, until now.
*
For decades
Raghu Rai’s pictures have spoken to us—each one having its own voice and its own story to tell. Though set in India, Rai’s photographs have had universal impact, evoking varied emotions in the hearts of those who’ve come across them. Using a mesmeric interplay of light and dark, Rai’s works celebrate the extraordinary in the ordinary. Whether his subject is a ‘baby donkey’, or women thrashing wheat grains with the sombre Humayun’s tomb in the distant background—his pictures portray life with compelling simplicity.

In 1965,
Rai’s photo Baby Donkey, catapulted him into prominence as a photographer. For more than two decades, he experimented with the elements of black and white, and coloured his photographs with different intensities of these elements. His photograph, Among the Sparrows (1968), for example, touches upon the themes of racism and alienation, by depicting a lone raven, surrounded by a threatening wall of innumerable sparrows. This is probably why Hoffman felt that Rai’s work dealt with the “subject of humanity on a universal scale.” Another picture, the Two Old Men (1970) articulates the economic disparity intrinsic in society. Rai depicts this through the posture of the two men while walking. While the man in a suit walks upright, his counterpart, wearing a ‘dhoti’, walks with a stick in hand, hunched. The posture of the latter speaks volumes about the oppressiveness burdening the poor. Moreover, an Indian wearing an Englishman’s suit testifies that imperialism continues to exist in India.

For a considerable period of time,
Rai’s photographs involved minimal entities (Sensuous Baby, My Father My Son, and A Train to Darjeeling). However, post 2001, Rai began to capture more elements of life, playing with more colours, thanks to modern technology. Pilgrims after a Holy Bath (2005) is one such picture. Taken at Varanasi, the picture details numerous pilgrims performing different rites and actions—each pilgrim is distinctive from the other, yet all belong to one frame and—one existence.

One of
Rai’s most striking images is of the Sensuous Baby. In India, the picture has the propensity to trigger off several debates. It shows an infant suckling his mother’s breast, playing with one of her nipples. The nakedness of the mother and child is symbolical of naked truth: sensuality and sexuality are all basic to mankind and there should be no room for hypocrisy. For Rai, photography is to celebrate life in every form, including, “capturing the rhythm and music in a human body.”

Rai has dedicated himself to capturing the life of India and her people, gifting insightful glimpses of her ‘being’. His contribution to photography as an art form, as a study of life in black and white, as well as in colour, and to the understanding of India, are beyond comparison.
***

18 comments:

kyamaloom said...

I haven't been to 'National Art Gallery' till NOW! Imagine!!! :|

five_silver_rings said...

Trust you man.
Advice?
a) Stop being philosophical all the time, it proves how idle you are :P
b) Go to the gallery.

kyamaloom said...

What sounds philosophical maybe common sense as well. :P
Though I agree on the 'idle' part. :|

Unknown said...

Welcome back, after a long time, dear! You are most welcome and thank you so much for stopping by my blog. How are you?

Well, I think that photography is the most 'imaginative' piece of art. It turns your head and makes you want to ask questions. You know what I think? I've been able to come in contact with some Mumbai-based photographers like Sima Dubey, who snapped the cover photograph of my novel, and I think that they 'think' deeply before clicking their cameras. They produce thought-provoking shots as you said and this is great.

Finally, every work of art should be encouraged. They bring dreams into realities. And who knows, I might visit the National Art Gallery this year as I'm attending the Hopes International Conference in Mumbai?

Take care...

Mystique said...

i loved the place. and the exhi. especially 'among the sparrows'
and the two halls of vivid colour. i did a post on it.
we'll meet in mumbai next year....

five_silver_rings said...

Sutta: COmmon sense? Perhaps.

Onyeka: When you coming to Mumbai?

Mystique: You useless thing. You didn't meet me when you were in Mumbai. I'm disappointed in you. Honest. I had more faith in you. [Sniff. Sob. Sniff].

Vipul Nanda said...

Interestingly enough, I have several of Raghu Rai's books at home. His pictures of Rajasthan are quite fascinating. Truly artistic work.

Mumbai, hm? I'm making plans to visit, sometime. How long are you there for?

Unknown said...

I would be in Mumbai this August, I believe. This is if everything works out fine!

Take care...

Anonymous said...

Man, your making me miss India. One of the things I'd add to my list of places to go. The NAG. :)

nice post.

Mystique said...

oh godd....you messaged at 9, said you were free at 11. pedar road. I woke up at 10 in no shape to move.
there's always next year. hoping you'll be in mumbai till april-may at least?
and sorry baba....

Vipul Nanda said...

Oi. Post-Blue - Placebo?

Unknown said...

The first time I was in Mumbai, it was boom! All a city could cherish, honestly. It's Lagos...too cosmopolitan and yes, crowded!

five_silver_rings said...

Arawn: I'm in Mumbai for a year... so make sure you land up here soon!
And you lucky bum, you have books on Rai eh? Good stuff. Make sure you bring them when you visit Mumbai.

Onyeka Nwelue: Come soon. Shall try to meet.

Javits: Miss India? Where exactly are you right now? And thanks for the comment :)

Mystique: You crazy cat, the only time we would have got to meet and you made no effort whatsoever to make it work. Sigh... so disappointing.. tsk tsk tsk :P

Arawn: Yep, Placebo! :P

Onyeka Nwelue: Yes yes, Mumbai is crowded. If you ever want to really absorb the city, go visit its slums. It's jolt you to the real reality.

Renovatio said...

Useless girl.

five_silver_rings said...

K: You useless moron :P
Oh, and for the record, I did't hang up on you... My phone connection betrayed the both of us.

And where are the movies you promised you'll lend me? Hmpf.

Anonymous said...

How long are you staying in Mumbai?

Anonymous said...

How long are you staying in Mumbai?

five_silver_rings said...

Onyeka: Will be in Mumbai for a year...